Immigration Policies

Immigration Policies for International Students

All international students are required to comply with policies set by the Immigration Department of Malaysia. Please adhere strictly to these requirements to minimize delay and other problems that may arise.

Requirements for New International Students:

Your passport needs a minimum validity of 18 months (1 ½ year) to come into the country.

Procedure for New International Students:

To apply for your student pass, please coordinate and send all the necessary documents to the University's marketing counsellors. They will submit this to the Immigration Department of Malaysia for processing. Note that VAL processing takes 6 to 8 weeks.

Once approved by the Immigration, the University will send you your Visa Approval Letter (VAL). All new students MUST go to the nearest Malaysian Embassy (preferably in your home country) to obtain a "Single Entry Visa."

The VAL is valid only for 3 months. You should get your "Single Entry Visa" and come into Malaysia at least 1 month before your VAL expires.

Once you get your "Single Entry Visa" and have made your travel arrangements, inform the University at least seven (7) working days before departing from your country. Bring a copy of your VAL.

A health examination/medical check-up will be conducted within seven (7) working days upon your arrival in Malaysia.

Your passport must be submitted to the visa unit at least 23 days before your VAL expires. A penalty of RM 1,800 will be charged for VAL renewal for passports submitted less than 23 days.

What's the difference? The VAL is your letter from the Immigration allowing you to study in Malaysia. Your "Single Entry Visa" is a stamp in your passport that the Malaysian Embassy in your home country issues after you submit your VAL.

Immigration Advice for International Students

The International Students Club serves the needs of our growing population of students from overseas. Their purpose is to help international students like you adapt to life at the University and in Malaysia, as well as help you get the most out of your stay by organizing a wide range of extra- curricular and cultural activities.

Social/Tourist Pass

It is illegal to study in Malaysia under a social or tourist pass. Students are NOT ALLOWED to enter the country via any other pass other than the student visa. We are NOT ALLOWED to convert social or tourist pass into student visa any more.